Lead learner: Mrs Hines
"Design and Technology is about making things that people want and that work well. Creating these things is hugely exciting: it is an inventive, fun activity".
James Dyson, Chairman, Dyson Ltd
The importance of design and technology
'Design and Technology prepares pupils to participate in the rapidly changing technologies of the world. They learn to think and intervene creatively to improve the quality of life. The subject calls for pupils to become creative problem solvers, both as individuals and as part of a team. They must look for needs, wants and opportunities, and respond to them by developing a range of ideas and making products and systems. They combine practical skills with an understanding of aesthetics, social and environmental issues, and functions'.
(The National Curriculum)
Design and Technology at Matchborough First School Academy offers opportunities for children to:
- Develop their designing and making skills to create high quality products
- Develop their knowledge and understanding of the design process and the importance of evaluating the products made
- Nurture creativity and innovation
- Explore values and attitudes to 'the made world' and how we live and work within it
- Select appropriate materials, tools and components and use these with due regard to safety
- Develop practical and thinking skills enabling them to offer possible solutions to practical problems
- Understand and apply the principles of nutrition and to develop their cooking skills
For more information on what your child will be learning in school go to your child’s year group. Please remember every half term we send out a Learning Leaflet so that you know what your child will be learning and how you can support them at home.
BBC Bitesize - KS1 Design and Technology - Website for children and parents to explore at
BBC Bitesize - KS2 Design and Technology - Lots of clips and information at https://www.bbc.co.uk/education/subjects/zyr9wmn
Cooking and nutrition - The Great Grub Club
Being Healthy is fun - A colourful website that uses cartoon characters to encourage children to make healthy eating choices. Lots of information on fruit and vegetables and some amazing recipes! http://www.greatgrubclub.com/